Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I got the inspiration for this sauce from watching Giada De Laurantis the other day. She made a Rigatoni Veggie Bolognese and it looked so good. So of course I thought that I would give it a try and make a Spaghetti Sauce. I made so much of it that I had some leftover and in a couple of days I can toss it with some roasted veggies and some cheese in some rigatoni and bake it.

Spaghetti Sauce

1 medium onion, quartered

3 cloves garlic, unpeeled

any veggies that you have in the fridge (carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, bell pepper, zucchini, etc) about 2 cups unchopped.

2 28oz cans chopped tomatoes

1 15oz can tomato sauce

Italian Seasoning, Sage, Bay Leaf, Oregano to taste.

Clean and cut off any stems off the vegetables, chop them into smaller pieces. Do the same thing to the onion and garlic. Place them in the food processor and pulse them til you like them.

Add about a tablespoon of olive oil into a heavy pot. Add vegetable mixture. Saute til veges are limp.

Add cans of tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add a couple of cups of water. Bring to boil and then turn down the heat. Simmer for a couple of hours. You may need to add more water.

It came out really good. If you like it smoother then go ahead and use a blender.

I served it with Italian Sausage links and Garlic Bread. I guess I should have made a salad too, but it was enough and everyone liked it.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or send me a question.

My mom used to say that whoever got the bay leaf that’s who’s turn it was to do the dishes ;)

Happy Eating :)
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it is appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...