Sunday, August 8, 2010

Burrito Night

I made burrito’s tonight. They were good. My 14 year old doesn’t normally like them, but she actually ate them tonight. I think that her tastes are changing. Yeah!

They are very easy and I love them because of it. All I have to do is make some rice and some fixings and you got dinner. Here are the recipes.

Burrito Mix

2 pounds ground turkey

1 can kidney beans

1 can diced tomatoes

Various spices (to taste): Granulated Garlic and Onion, Chili Powder, Cumin and Red Pepper Flakes

Directions: Brown the turkey. Add the spices and stir. Add the can of beans and the can of tomatoes with the liquid from both. Then simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes til most of the liquid is gone. Serve with tortillas and your favorite burrito fixings.

I also sliced up a half an onion and two jalapenos then tossed them in a hot pan with a little olive oil to serve on the side, I thought about putting them into the meat mixture but wasn’t sure if the kids would like it. So maybe next time :)

Spanish Rice

I know that a lot of people like this because whenever I make this for my husband’s potlucks he never comes back with much (if any at all).

2 cups rice

2tsp olive oil

1 can stewed tomatoes, Mexican recipe

Drain the can and save the liquid

1 tbsp of chicken bouillon

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the rice. Cook rice for about 5 minutes, it will get whiter and maybe a little brown, that’s ok. While that is cooking add to a 4 cup measuring cup the liquid from the tomatoes, then enough water to make 4 cups, also add the chicken bouillon and garlic and onion powder. Don’t add to rice yet.

add the tomatoes to the rice, break them up a little. Now you can add the liquid, stir, bring to boil. Add lid then turn fire down to low and cook for 10 - 15 minutes til rice is done.

I don’t make dessert every night, but I felt like it tonight and I’m only going to tell you about it because it didn’t really come out that good. It sounds a lot better than it actually tasted. Maybe next time it will be better.

I made a lemon cake a small one that only cooked in one cake in an 8x8 pan. Then I made some Lemon Curd. I sliced the cake in half horizontally and filled it with the lemon curd, replaced the top layer, then added the other half of the lemon curd to the top then added powder sugar to the top of that. It was rather pretty too.

But….here is what was wrong with it. The cake was rather dense, it was a brand that I have never heard before and it was on sale at the store. :P I know, no comments about that please. Even though I liked the Lemon Curd, my family wasn’t too crazy about it. And if I hadn’t put the powdered sugar on top it wouldn’t have been sweet enough. But while eating it don’t inhale, then you breathe in sugar….LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it is appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...